MoodleMoot DACH 2019 - Idea Exchange

Rapid front end development with VueJS

Picture of Guy Thomas
Rapid front end development with VueJS
by Guy Thomas - Friday, 6 September 2019, 6:04 PM

For about a year now, I've been using VueJS to build front end user interfaces for Moodle. It has some significant advantages over the traditional Moodle front end development tech. If anyone would like to discuss this at the bar camp, I'd be happy to show you what we have achieved. I'd also be interested to know if other developers have used VueJs for Moodle development, or similar technologies (e.g. React).

Picture of Benedikt Kulmann
Re: Rapid front end development with VueJS
by Benedikt Kulmann - Friday, 6 September 2019, 6:49 PM

Hey,

I started using Vue for Moodle plugins in April this year. Currently I'm developing some questionbank based plugins. Already published in a working state, but still with lots of ideas for improvement are:

https://github.com/kulmann/moodle-mod_millionaire and

http://github.com/kulmann/moodle-mod_philosophers

Feedback is very welcome. Would like to see your work as well! wink

Unfortunately I will not be able to attend the devcamp. I planned to go, but private things have come up.

Cheers,

Benedikt

Picture of Guy Thomas
by Guy Thomas - Saturday, 7 September 2019, 4:12 PM

Hi Benedikt

It's a real shame you can't attend - I'd love to discuss the different techniques in injecting vue into Moodle.

I'll try and get a project up on github for you to look at soon.

All the best

Guy

Luca Bösch
by Luca Bösch - Friday, 6 September 2019, 9:02 PM

Oh, wow, yes,

I would greatly appreciate. Based on work by Martin Gauk and taking into consideration the projects by Benedikt I myself am soonish concluding my Differentiator tool which I like to pitch and then discuss and optimize in Vienna.

https://github.com/lucaboesch/moodle-local_differentiator

Looking forward to meeting you again, Guy and Benedikt!

Best,

Luca

Picture of Guy Thomas
by Guy Thomas - Saturday, 7 September 2019, 4:20 PM

This is really great - I noticed that you were using a store too. That's not something I've done with Moodle yet (although I have used the RJXS store with Angular before).

I think we're going to have lots to talk about!

Looking forward to seeing you again too.

Picture of Katarzyna Potocka
by Katarzyna Potocka - Saturday, 7 September 2019, 5:21 PM

You are all amazing - I love that there is sooo much to discuss already. And I am looking forward to the pitching ideas that you hopefully already prepared - bcs convincing all the amazing people to work on your own idea is not a walk in the park smile

See you very, very soon wink

Kasia

Picture of David Mudrák
by David Mudrák - Saturday, 7 September 2019, 7:51 PM

Oh yes please, count me in.

I only experimented with Vue a bit, and got only that far that I was able to have it available on the page. I'll be happy to see some actual real usage of it.

Picture of Alexander Bias
by Alexander Bias - Monday, 9 September 2019, 4:53 PM

While I really appreciate to build Moodle functionality with contemporary frameworks, I still wonder if / how you can prevent to ship the framework with every Moodle plugin which builds on top of VueJS again and again. If you have an answer to that, I would be curious to hear it smile
Picture of Philipp Hager
by Philipp Hager - Monday, 9 September 2019, 7:12 PM

Definitely worth a discussion/brainstorming!
Picture of stefan weber
by stefan weber - Monday, 9 September 2019, 11:38 PM

I will be very interested to see what you got, UI is where Moodle needs improvements the most smile