Moodle Quiz data export to data warehouse and its analysis

Moodle Quiz data export to data warehouse and its analysis

von Luca Bösch -
Anzahl Antworten: 3

Hi

Andrea Kennel from FHNW is the one using https://github.com/lucaboesch/moodle-report_datawarehouse which I developed last year (spoke about it, quite confusingly probably, I admit, in a presentation), and she is about to ask herself if it is worth coming to Vienna and talking to you guys about it. What do students do with the data? Where could the query that exports be improved? How does it work in detail. Andrea is a Data Warehouse and Oracle Expert and lecturer for data science and databases.
"What are the odds that I can talk on thursday?" she asked me. She only can do thursday.
My gut feeling is: "Sure! It will be scheduled surely and the interest is here".

Can you please comment? Would the topic interest you or is it an edge case?

Best, Luca

Als Antwort auf Luca Bösch

Re: Moodle Quiz data export to data warehouse and its analysis

von Dale Davies -
Hi Luca

I can't admit to being a data science or data warehouse expert, but I have spent a lot of time recently implementing ELT and BI at Catalyst EU over the last 12 months. We ended up going with Meltano and dbt for ELT, using Metabase for reporting.

I'd definitely be really interested to learn more about moodle-report_datawarehouse and how you are using it.

Kind regards
Dale

von Mark Glynn -
HI Luca,

I am very interested in this topic. While I am a developer, I have spent 20 years working in Higher Education on the teaching and learning side of things so I have a very keen interest in student data and how we can best harness it from Moodle. Hopefully Andrea can make it over.

Kind regards,

Mark

von Alistair Spark -
It’s not something we’ve figured out yet, so would be worth exchanging ideas around this.

We did co-fund this plugin https://github.com/catalyst/moodle-tool_dataflows that was meant to help integrate with Snowflake via Snowpipe but things changed and we’re now heading towards using Azure Data Lake.

From a data protection standpoint I’d really like to understand how we avoid having data from anonymous submissions being revealed to users who aren’t privileged to see it, once released in the lake.

And how we do this without replicating a bunch of application logic into the lake.

Or maybe there’s a common set of data cleansing rules to cover the application logic we could collaborate on?

It’s something we’re going to start properly exploring from next week until DACH moot so should be great to bounce ideas