Is there time to talk about contributing to Moodle core? (Do we want to?)

Is there time to talk about contributing to Moodle core? (Do we want to?)

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 5

I did one of these DevCamps before, when it was online, and that was a lot of fun. I know that the general idea is that we get into teams and work on a project for the two days.

However, if anyone would like to know more about contributing changes to Moodle core, then I was wonding if it would be possible / desirable to fit in some shorter sessions about this. For example we could do something for the last half hour of one or both of the days. For example, we could have one session about writing code to Moodle's coding guidelines, and submitting your fix to the tracker. And/or we could have another session about the Peer review and integration reveiw processes.

If anyone thinks this would be interesting, then I can see from the people posting in this forum that we have several people at the DevCamp with a lot of experience of contributing to Moodle core, and we could do some sessions like this, if they fit in. (I suppose there could also be other topics, like Unit testing and Behat testing.)

In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Is there time to talk about contributing to Moodle core? (Do we want to?)

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -

I think that will be a great benefit to those who are not yet coders or who need their dusted programming skills refreshed.

In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Marcus Green -
I am torn between thinking that getting things into core is a useful thing to be able to do, but at the same time I gave up quite early in my attempts as it is typically quite a long and multi step process. I felt I would rather be developing my own plugins rather than doing the MDL ticket two step dance. I gave up even though I was getting top quality guidance from Tim.

But for others think of being able to say you have code in a system used by hundreds of millions of users .... hmmmm
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Antonia Bonaccorso -

Hi Tim,

I think this is a great idea to pitch! Doing so will give the possibility to all participants to decide if they would like to see those workshops. And if so they will be included in the program.

Best,

Antonia

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Thomas Niedermaier -
I would take a great interest in this sessions (as a grateful listener) - especially contributing to Moodle core is a burning issue to me.
BR,
Thomas
In reply to Thomas Niedermaier

by Eva Karall -
I think it's an interesting topic and a wonduferful idea to get an impression how to contribute to moodle core. As the focus on the devcamp should be your own project, I spoke to Tim that we will include the workshop idea after sprint pitching on the first day. Therefore we have reserved the lecture hall on tuesday from 6 to 8 pm. More details tomorrow at the opening. See you soon!