Let's talk about MoodleBox!

Let's talk about MoodleBox!

by Nicolas Martignoni -
Number of replies: 4

Dear all,

MoodleBox is a Moodle server built around a small and cheap single board computer (Raspberry Pi) that can fit in a shirt pocket and can operate without electrical and Internet infrastructure. It was created mainly to support e-learning in remote locations in any part of the world and in war-torn countries, and regions affected by climate change disasters, but it's also used in special configurations, eg. French detention centers have used MoodleBox to provide Moodle course from the University to the incarcerated without access to the Internet.

As the MoodleBox founder and maintainer, I'd love to talk with you about its (potential) uses in higher education, to learn from you where it lacks and how it could be improved. I'm also interested in what improvements could be made to the MoodleBox plugin (and how).

Nicolas

In reply to Nicolas Martignoni

Re: Let's talk about MoodleBox!

by Frank Koch -
Hi Nicolas,

I would love to talk about the Moodlebox at the BarCamp. From my point of view, many of the application scenarios use afordable android phones as clients. So the interaction between the Moodlebox and the Moodleapp becomes crucial. I would be very interested to learn how to optimize the interaction of both.

Cheers, Frank
In reply to Nicolas Martignoni

by Georg Osang -
Hi Nicolas,

I'd be excited to learn more about this. At IDEMS we work a lot in low-resource environments, and running Moodle on a Raspberry Pi has been one of the ideas we've been wanting to pilot at schools in Africa to allow access to learning materials without requiring internet access. One interesting aspect to explore would also be means of pushing/pulling/synching data on such a server when it gets access to internet, assuming it is only running in a local area network most of the time.

Best,
Georg
In reply to Georg Osang

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Hi Georg

The process of satellite Moodle instances "synching back" to mother Moodle has not been solved yet. That would be a great project if you have the resources.

Some background discussions in the MoodleBox community:
- How can I upload my student data from Moodlebox to live site?