Badge Notification

Badge Notification

by Stephan Robotta -
Number of replies: 2

Hi,

my proposal for a pitch:

At the moment, when a badge is awarded to a user, the badge creator may receive an email. There are two problems with this:

1. that creator is no longer employed by the institution (email goes to nowhere)
  2. the creator of the badge might not be the one that actually has defined the badge criteria and is interested in woh is awarded this badge.
Apart from this we had another issue. Participants of a course that received the badge are supposed to be enabled in the CRM as a editor. An admin needs to create/change the account of that user that got the badge awarded.

I already had a working solution proposed to be included into core which was rejected (MDL-77198). Therefore I guess a plugin makes sense here.

Current situation:
  • Setting whether the creator gets a notification about an awarded badge can be enabled or disabled (also it can be set, wether one email is send for each awarded badge or whether an email is send in a certain timeframe and all awared badges are mentioned in the email at once).
Proposed outcome:
  • Awarded badge notification can be send to any user that exists in Moodle.
  • Awarded badge notification can be send to an arbitrary email address that may not exist in Moodle (this is useful when role accounts are in use and a ticket is created in bugzilla/otrs/jira).
  • Combined email (many badge issues at once with a periodical email) should still exist.
Best regards, Stephan

In reply to Stephan Robotta

Re: Badge Notification

by Tim Hunt -

In the MDL, the rejected your proposed *Solution* to the problem of controlling who is notified when a badge is awarded. However, they did not reject that problem you had identified. They just suggested that you open a new issue to work on the problem, with a clean start, and Amaia makes two possible suggestions that could go into core:

Maybe adding the option to "change" the badge owner or add recipients (moodle users) to the badge could be an improvement we could think about.

We could look at implementing one of those things.

In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Badge Notification

by Stephan Robotta -

Hi Tim,

Thank you for your proposal to check out possible solutions in that issue. My goal is to get the outcome as described in this thread. I understood that it was rejected because of the way how the emails are send (by faking a user that doesn't really exist on the system). If you have some time (even if there is no time to do real development because of other pitched ideas) I would like to hear about your suggestions.

Best regards, Stephan